Parish History

From the early Jesuit missionary priests to the dedicated parish priests of today β€” this parish has served in faith for more than 140 years.

Pre-1800s

Early Period

Early Catholic Settlement – Nazareth Region

Before the eighteenth century, our village of Pragasapuram formed part of Nazareth, then known as Saanpathu. More than four thousand people already lived in this region in those days.

β˜… First Catholic communities in the Nazareth–Pragasapuram region

1800

18th Century

Thatched-Roof Chapel Raised

Great churches were raised at Kamanayakkanpatti to the north and Vadakkankulam to the south. Midway between those two towns, our ancestors built a new church at Pragasapuram in the eighteenth century, so that our village might stand as the heart of devotion in the region.

β˜… Thatched-roof chapel established between two great churches

1831

19th Century

Village Renamed 'Pragasapuram'

In 1831 the village name was changed from Puthur to Pragasapuram β€” the Village of Light. From that day to this, it has been known by that name.

β˜… Village renamed from Puthur to Pragasapuram

1880

Church Founded

Church of Our Lady of Assumption Founded

Fourteen Catholic families of the village, who had already raised a chapel for Our Lady in earlier times, took down the thatched roof in 1880 and built a tiled mud church in its place. That church was consecrated the same year on 15 August, the feast of Our Lady's Assumption.

β˜… Church consecrated on 15 August 1880

1887

Growth Period

Pragasapuram Becomes a Separate Parish

In 1887 the Bishop of Trichy directed that Pragasapuram function as a separate parish. Together with fifteen neighbouring villages, it was separated from Sathankulam parish and placed under the care of Rev. Fr. Nicholas. The Madurai Mission records note that 2,882 Christians belonged to the parish at that time.

β˜… Separated from Sathankulam with 15 villages; 2,882 Christians

1895

Feast Milestone

First Feast with Chariot Procession

Until 1895 the parish feast was observed only through simple acts of worship. From that year it became a sapparam feast, with the chariot procession at its heart.

β˜… Feast becomes a sapparam (chariot) celebration

1909

Independent Parish

Parish Life Resumes as an Independent Parish

From the end of January 1909 the parish began to function independently once more. Fr. E. Mas, a Jesuit, was appointed its first parish priest.

β˜… First parish priest: Fr. E. Mas, SJ (1909–1911)

1913

Church Construction

Foundation Stone Laid – Asanam Tradition Begun

It was during Fr. T. Michael's tenure as parish priest in 1913 that the tradition of Asanam β€” the community feast meal β€” was first begun in our church. In the same year Fr. T. Michael laid the foundation stone for the new church.

β˜… Asanam begun; foundation of the new church laid

12 June 1923

Diocese Formation

Diocese of Tuticorin Is Born

On 12 June 1923 a new diocese was born with Tuticorin as its see β€” India's first Latin Rite diocese. Pragasapuram parish came under its care from that day.

β˜… Diocese of Tuticorin established β€” India's first Latin Rite diocese

1929

Education

Parish School Founded

Moved by a desire to nourish the hunger for learning among the children of this region, Holy Mary's Primary School was founded in the village in 1929. In 1939 it was raised to a middle school, serving Classes 1 to 8.

β˜… School founded 1929; raised to middle school in 1939

1931–1940

Spiritual Growth

Blessed Sacrament Procession Begins

It was during the years 1931 to 1940 that the Blessed Sacrament procession was first begun in our parish.

β˜… Blessed Sacrament procession begun

1949

Church Construction

Church Construction Resumes

Work on the new church, which had stood unfinished at the foundation until 1949, began to take new life once more.

β˜… Church construction resumed in 1949

1954

Church Construction

Church Walls Raised

Through the dedicated efforts of the then parish priest, Fr. Lourdes Marianathar, the exterior and interior walls of the church were raised in 1954.

β˜… Exterior and interior walls completed in 1954

21 November 1967

Church Dedicated

New Church Consecrated and Opened

The new church was completed through the hard labour of our ancestors and the dedicated efforts of Fr. G. Francis. On 21 November 1967 it was consecrated by Most Rev. Thomas Fernando, then Bishop of Tuticorin, and dedicated to the people of God of our village.

β˜… Church consecrated 21 November 1967 by Bishop Thomas Fernando

1967

Bell Tower

Bell Tower Built

A bell tower of fired brick was raised beside the church.

β˜… Bell tower built of fired brick

1972–1978

Flag Mast

New Flag Mast Brought from Kerala

Through the determined efforts of the then parish priest, Fr. Cruz Marian, a new flag mast was brought from Kerala for our church.

β˜… New flag mast brought from Kerala

11 August 1983

Century Chapel

Centenary Chapel Built

The then parish priest, Fr. Pangras M. Raja, wished that generations to come should know of the parish centenary (1880–1980). With the generous support of the people, a Centenary Chapel was therefore built in the front hall of the old church. It is still known today as the Centenary Chapel (Nootraandu Kebi).

β˜… Centenary Chapel built in the old church front hall, 1983

17 June 1995

School

New School Building Opened

A new building for Our Lady's Middle School, then serving Classes 1 to 8, was completed and opened on 17 June 1995 through the efforts of the then parish priest, Fr. Edward J.

β˜… New school building opened 17 June 1995

14 August 1999

St. Michael Chapel

Chapel of St. Michael the Archangel Opened

In 1999 a succession of untimely deaths left the village frozen in fear, and the people felt the need of a heavenly protector. From that longing was born the chapel of St. Michael the Archangel, opened on 14 August 1999.

β˜… St. Michael Chapel opened 14 August 1999

2003

St. Mary's Mahal

Foundation Stone Laid for St. Mary's Mahal

The foundation stone of St. Mary's Mahal was laid in 2003 during the tenure of the then parish priest, Rev. Fr. Jackson M. Arul.

β˜… St. Mary's Mahal foundation laid in 2003

14 August 2004

Velankanni Chapel

Velankanni Matha Chapel Opened

It was during the same tenure of Rev. Fr. Jackson M. Arul that the Velankanni Matha Chapel was raised and opened, on 14 August 2004.

β˜… Velankanni Chapel opened 14 August 2004

6 August 2006

Flag Mast

Iron Flag Mast Installed

In 2005, as the wooden flag mast was being raised, it leaned, fell, and broke. A lasting iron flag mast was therefore installed in 2006 through the efforts of Fr. Jackson M. Arul.

β˜… Iron flag mast installed in 2006 after the wooden mast broke

14 August 2007

New Chapel

Centenary Chapel Renewed

To mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Centenary Chapel, the then parish priest, Rev. Fr. A. Soosai Raja, blessed a renewed chapel and opened it for worship on 14 August 2007.

β˜… Centenary Chapel renewed and opened 14 August 2007

21 November 2016

New Chapel

St. Anthony Chapel Opened

The foundation stone was blessed and laid on 4 November 2012 by the late Rev. Fr. M. Peter, a son of this soil. The chapel was later blessed and opened on 21 November 2016 by the then parish priest, Rev. Fr. S. Arul Prabhakar.

β˜… Foundation 2012; chapel opened 21 November 2016

2017

50th Anniversary

Fiftieth Anniversary of the New Church

To mark fifty years since the new church was built, and forty years since the village car was fashioned, the height of Our Lady's miraculous car was raised and the car itself renewed.

β˜… Church golden jubilee; miraculous car raised and renewed

17 June 2018

New Residences

New Parish House Built and Opened

As the old parish house had fallen into a dilapidated state, a new one was built through the efforts of the then parish priest, Rev. Fr. A. Anthony Irudaya Thomas. It was blessed and opened by Most Rev. Stephen, Bishop of Tuticorin, on 17 June 2018.

β˜… New parish house blessed and opened 17 June 2018

2 October 2022

Current

Foundation Stone Laid for the Rosary Garden

Under the present parish priest, Rev. Fr. Tha. Salet Gerald, the foundation stone of the Rosary Garden (Jebamaalai Thottam) was laid on 2 October 2022, and the work continues. We pray that this labour may be brought to completion soon.

β˜… Rosary Garden foundation laid 2 October 2022; work ongoing